Sunday, May 15, 2011

Alaskan BBQ

After a wild and crazy day of planning and cooking 5:30 finally came, and a group of some of the closet people in my life arrived at my house. With sentimental gifts in hand, they honored me with their presence. After fun talk, loud laughter, and cuddling by the fire on this chilly May night, it was time to say our goodbyes. Michelle was the first to go. My best friend of  11 years had come home form Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) to be with me because this would be our last time together until August when I return from Alaska. Parting was sad, but we have always been able to pick up right where we left off no matter what the distance. She had to leave to go back to school where she will finish June 3rd; the day I leave. Joy, was next in line. I can't go many days without seeing this woman, so this wasn't goodbye. She has helped me discover parts of my soul that I didn't know that I had. I feel her prayers and thoughts and she means the world to me. Third to go was Morgan. My newest of friends has gained so much respect form me in such a small amount of time. She is one of the strongest people I know. I will continue to see her before I leave. Then Mazie. Growing up just being cousins soon turned into a deep friendship. She is so beautiful inside and out, sometimes don't know what to do with her. Hugging her I realized how blessed I was to have such a close friend be family. She is remarkable and I can't wait to see our lives grow together.



Many of my friends couldn't come because of scheduling. This was set for April 30th, and then tornadoes decided to rip through our state and devastate the area to pieces. The following weekend ended up not working either due to a spinal meningitis scare that out me in the hospital. So I had to settle for this weekend. After all the drama that set my birthday/ going away party back so far made me just grateful for having such an amazing support system around me. Count your blessing by starting with the people nearest to you in life.

Good food, fun fellowship, and an amazing cake made this night perfect! Now the countdown continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment